Update to this project that I started a few months back.
My objective was to create a simple arch viz project to learn and make it interactive using Amazon Lumberyard.
I started this back in 2019 on Twitch doing some research about the place.
Here is a video of the first Lumberyard Research of Images. Link to the Research Video on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/459395808
At this moment I was using Lumberyard 1.19 to 1.22 to start this project. And right now its on version 1.23.
What went Right?
- Lumberyard forced me to look at programming again. This is important if you want to make something interactive. I did C++ and Web Base Development Tutorials just to get the hang of coding.
- I went back to using 3dsmax since it was good for making Arch Vis Models and I am comfortable using it with my previous Arch Vis Jobs.
- I started to look at Agile / Lean Frameworks even though Its for a solo project. This is to keep things more in check as things will change in scope as I learn and document my own use of the engine.
- Started to evaluate Source Tree / GitKraken / Plastic SCM / to learn Version Control for code and assets. Right now its just Github Desktop and Perforce. Learning Git is important.
What Went Wrong?
- Underestimating the time it will take to learn both and engine and programming. I have not included the game design portion yet since this is motly an art interactive project.
- Lumberyard is a moving target there is new versions coming out every 2-3 months.
- Lumberyard is Still beta so not much new features or proper workflows documented
- Lots of items to make and model
- Learning new skills such as Game Making, which is new to me on top of existing one such as Game Art making
- Need to learn about game production workflows and deliver a final project (meaning an exe) it not just making it in the editor.
I started in 3dsmax to model the project. As I did not have blue prints I started out from a concept sketch.
I managed to import the model into Lumberyard to see if it fits the dimensions.
At this stage manged to import a proxy model into Lumberyard with both levels but It does not Have collisions
I used Script canvas since my goals was to just have some player character walking around in a space. It was generally not that hard to learn if you have some experience with Blueprint in UE4 or Cryengine flowgraph.
SourceTree, GitKraken to Github Desktop
I used Source tree initially to upload the project to my Github Page. But that took a long time.
The workflow is you make a project in Github, pull that to a place. When you are done with the changes you can use a tool like WinMerge to override the files in the Github location and send it back to Github.it
Sourcetree unfortunaly takes a long time to update and it uses a lot of ram. I tried switching to GitKraken which also slowed down when adding a lot of files for the first time.
Finally went to Github desktop. Its not fancy but it works.
Of the 3 I like Gitkraken a lot but I feel Git is good for code and not tracking Art Assets (binary files). I may go back to GitKraken.
I tried to make the terrain in lumberyard. Did mostly planning on the player boundaries of the map and researched on google Maps a potential play area. Although Its a visualization I think its good to setup some boundaries for the level.
Setting up Agile / Lean framework.
This is to create some sprints with small goals each 2-3 weeks
I wanted to start with a Game Design Doc but I kept it simple to 1 page and add more as we go along.
I use Airtable but may migrate to GitHub Projects to set my own tasks.
Though it is tough to adhere to the schedule as the projec is done part time.
Learning Game making
Went to look at tutorials on Lynda.com and Pluralsight to learn some basic workflows on game making like coming up with an Agile Framework. Plurasight has a course on Unity covering topics from Game Design, Game Art and programming. its a recommended to go through that before making anything in Lumberyard.
At this stage its still preliminary nothing is complete using an Agile Framework with small tasks really helps while keeping in mind an end goal.
I also realised that keeping things small in scope is good.
I feel that this is more important to learn the Principles of making a game and delivering it than learning the software. Cause those skills are portable from engine to engine.
Script canvas is useful but lots of compoment functions are not exposed will need to check the LUA Scripting ro delve into C++.
I am moving the project over to Lumberyard 1.23 since it just came out. The software gets updated once every 2-3 months and I would like it to be aligned with the latest one.