CG BOSS Dev Log 1 on my new 2D Game project.
The goal is to make a simple 2d platofrmer with narrative elements. Something I am trying to accomplish in the next couple of months or sprints.
Not sure how long it will take but the last two weeks we’re just experimenting with Unity.
Things I went through, from my past two week sprint
- Input System
- Creating the player input
- Game MVP Plan
- Concept art
- Pixel Art
Retrospective Sprint 1
- Just spent most of the time learning unity and how to architect a 2D Game.
- Trying to figure out the new Input system becuase I want to port it later to iOS
- Most time spent making the player move and learning C#
Nothing much really happened for this round as I am still learning unity and realise that using a framework will cut down time. I recommend looking at David Whele short course on Unity Learn to get an overview on game development.
One thing I want to do is use a framework such as Corgi Engine. I don’t want to spend time re-inventing the wheel or rebuilding things already solved.
Well it’s just a first dev log on my third game try. Depending on the next 2-3 sprints I might see if I want to commit 6-8 months to see this published as a full game and not a prototype.
One other goal is to put it on the App Store. But that might be for later once I get the game design right.
Sprint 1 Next Steps
- Look into 2D Game Kit Frameworks to extract the physics and player controller and speed up production time.
- Firm up game design doc
- Looking into interaction model
- Attempt a prototype level
- Research other platformer games in the market at an indie level
Like this post? Do subscribe for updates
Subscribe to the blog mailing list for updates and other topics on creating games, animation and transmedia.